Finance and Corporate Services
Easily referred to as the 'backbone' of any municipality, the Department of Finance and Corporate Services ensures efficient and effective financial and administrative operations.
As the advisor on financial management issues in the Sarah Baartman District, the department is responsible for fiscal discipline, enhancing the quality of expenditure, allocating financial resources and improving overall financial governance in the Sarah Baartman District.
The department also plays a key role in promoting shared growth and development in the district and works towards achieving socio-economic equity through more responsive budgeting processes, encouraging value for money spending and protects and promotes effective utilisation of the municipality's assets.
The strategic objectives of the department are to:
- Ensure long-term financial sustainability;
- Promote good financial management practice;
- Provide financial advise to council;
- Ensure full compliance with all accounting statutory and legal requirements including implementation of the MFMA;
- Implement revenue generating strategies;
- Information Technology – most of the system and hardware is owned by the municipality with support from external services.
- Recover outstanding monies owed by Provincial Government in respect of health subsidies and long term liabilities; and
- Provide support to nine local municipalities.
Functions of the corporate services division include:
- Human Resources - a specialized function which provides support services for other managers in the institution.
- Public Relations - providing information to public and staff, planning events such as community meetings and project launches, promotion and management of corporate identity and public image, formulating and maintaining a Communication Strategy, Stakeholder Management, speech writing on behalf of Mayor and Speaker to present at Council Meetings and other events.
- Other Services - Secretarial / Auxiliary Services, Archives & Central Registry, Legal Services/ Property Management.
Director of Finance and Corporate Services: Vacant
Portfolio Councillor: Mr Vernon Stuurman